OzHipHop.Com Forum
Gary
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where is Matty B? (Interview)
ReCon
Oz Hip Hop Member

Mood: busy cunt

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 11:47 AM
Where is Matty B? (Interview)

The certified joker has apparently been reported missing somewhere deep underground in Western Australia. Close friends said the last time they saw him he was out in the mines and has failed to surface since 2006. His classic track ‘Fridays’ still scores huge requests on triple J at the end of the working week and by digging our way down we managed to catch him in between shifts to get the latest update on his plans for the future and his upcoming tour put on by the Stylewise crew.

Your last ep came out in 2006 are we going to see a new album anytime soon?

‘I have no plans for a new CD at the moment. I am working on the mines in WA and that’s taking up a lot of my time. If I got a hold of some beats I really liked then yeah for sure, but they would have to be the types of beats that made me want to freestyle and record at the same time’.
‘As far as sitting at a desk with beats I’m not really into and trying to write on paper no thanks, but if I had time to jam out to good beats in a good environment who knows’.

I was pretty surprised to find out that you were a pro surfer before you got into Hip-hop how did the transition come about?

‘I did a couple of Australian circuit comps in 98 but wasn’t really good enough, there’s so many good surfers around but I always wanted to rap from a young age so I met the downside lads by chance one night in 99 and it all started with a few free styles outside the Hyde Park hotel’.
‘A few months later I had recorded my first song ‘Courageous’, Optumus suggested I submit for the Culture of Kings 1 CD and it got accepted then it just went on from there’.

You’ve started your own label B-style Entertainment, what made you move out and do things on your own?

‘My first CD was on B-Style distributed by Obese, a deal made between myself and Shazlekone, the original owner. I guess I just wanted it to be my own product. That feeling of rapping, recording, organising and manufacturing a release with my own money made it more of a personal achievement for me. On the second disc it was pretty much the same story, I just got Adam at Shogun to distribute it. So I didn’t move out on my own, I always was on my own and that’s generally how I like to be with business. Partnerships can ruin friendships; it’s easier to keep business and personal separate’.

Do you pay any attention to other artists in the Oz Hip-hop scene because you seem to do your own thing?

‘I think there are so many good Aussie hip hop artists I look up to but I am from a surf/skate/punk/metal background as well as having tastes in so many other types of music. I’m from the beach and not the streets; I never did graff so maybe that’s what makes me seem to be doing my own thing. I love so many Aussie hip hop artists as brothers and compared to their music I don’t feel like I am that good of a rapper, they’re so dope, full respect’.

You’ve escaped the mines to do some shows on the east coast of QLD what’s in store for the Hip-hop community?

‘I will be doing two shows, one on the Sunshine Coast at Club Envy on the 8th of January and one on the Gold Coast at the Shark Bar on 15th. I really hope to bring a good vibe where people are peaceful and having heaps of fun. I will be doing tracks from both CDs and will be supported by the Rukus crew and Beavis will be spinning for me, so a great night should be had by all Oz hip hop, don’t stop.

[Edited on 19-10-2010 by ReCon]

New releases, clothing and beats all at parkproductions.net

On-line beat catalogue @ www.beatfire.net
BillyBullshiner
Oz Hip Hop Member

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 11:48 AM

Matty B is the king of Australian hip hop.

I smoke heroin.

Ronikal is the toyest faggot on this forum.
2Easy
custom status eligible

Mood: pooey

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 03:42 PM

False.

Go To Top