LJ
[The O Exalted One]

Mood: Chirpy

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 12:02 PM
The Future of Aussie Hip Hop - Article on TMN from Urthboy

"The Future of Aussie Hip Hop
12 April 2012

by Tim Levinson

I was asked to write about the state of hip hop in Australia. I’d prefer to shine a light on what may be the future of it: Indigenous Hip Hop.

Indigenous artists carry a profoundly engrossing and intriguing story for international audiences, yet it’s barely understood by many Australians. There is no better example of the latter than our tendency to group Indigenous music into ‘World’ categories. Despite some top successes (Jessica Mauboy), it’s hard not to conclude we’ve placed it in a ‘too hard basket’.

This is bigger than selling records, this is about reflecting on who and what Australia really is, and in the process, uncovering our great national gifts. AFL invested in Indigenous talent and discovered Michael Long, Adam Goodes and Lance Franklin – stars of the game.

Hip hop is a black culture; we’ve embraced it wholeheartedly and used it to tell (predominantly white) modern Australian stories. We’ve independently created a huge market in Australia. Platinum records and sell-out shows with crowds of 10,000 in capital cities are now almost commonplace. I won’t bother doing the hard sell – the genre is buzzing. But what is going to take it to the next level?

Read the rest of the article over at TMN here
custom status eligible

Mood: with the

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 12:19 PM

Why even segregate "them" as aboriginals. If you want to get a gig, get in the same fucking line as everyone else.

Sittin\' on see hayche are oh emmy.

Project Manager: Oh my God, that looks like your daughter. Halt construction!

Developer: No. Build. She drank lots of milk. Strong bones. We need a sturdy foundation. -Ronedog
Luther
Balboanned

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 01:01 PM

I'm afraid that whilst ever they all have different labels from the perceived majority they will never be viewed as one.
Jim
An 'orrible cunt

Mood: eh

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 01:36 PM

Stopped reading at "hip hop is a black culture".
Jim
An 'orrible cunt

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by .
Why even segregate "them" as aboriginals. If you want to get a gig, get in the same fucking line as everyone else.

Also - this.
Mackula
custom status eligible

Mood: 9-tre

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Luther
I'm afraid that whilst ever they all have different labels from the perceived majority they will never be viewed as one.

FREE LUTHER! :angry:

D O T H E M A T H
Mark563
10565 Miles & Runnin\'...

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

Surely that's not debatable.

http://runtheline.blogspot.com/
http://wordtothemother.tumblr.com/
gerling
the humble magnificent

Mood: intergalactic reptilian all stars

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark563
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

It's not debatable but I also winced a little when I read it. It could have been phrased a little better so that there didn't seem to be a vague suggestion in the background that non-black participants are not as genuine or as authentic - or that they now owe it to black people to bring them back into the fold... Dunno, hard to put into words but it wasn't a very good assertion to put there and to leave dangling like that.

Having griped about that, it would be good to see more Indigenous voices in hip hop (although let's not forget there are several widely loved Indigenous MCs holding it down as fuck.)
Luther
Balboanned

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 02:37 PM

Once again people try to take it back to being an Australian thing vs a world wide thing. It's not a black culture. It's not even a culture. A culture is a collection of germs in a petrie dish. Skills first, the rest of the bullshit can slide to the side like James Brown. If the people holding the keys to the gate that unlocks the hip-hop industry in Australia for free entry feel the need to pigeon hole certain emcees because of race, perhaps they shouldn't be rapping or holding the keys in the first place. I wouldn't walk up to anybody and say, "Hey, you are black...", so why do it in a general sense when addressing a perceived world wide phenomenon. People continue to argue whether hip-hop started in the Bronx, or Queens, or wherever. Maybe it's something older than any of us understand. It could be an African thing, it could be something else. African culture is generally hailed as being as the oldest in the world so perhaps being that we all originally come from Africa, some people may perceive hip-hop to have originated there. It's a philosophical debate but so called overlords of the industry need to beware when trying to classify something as such a base level phenomenon that can be coined by such simplistic ideas "that are black". It's idiotic and begets the complexity that make music, in general, when done properly....interesting.

Alias
Jim
An 'orrible cunt

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark563
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

I should've explained a little more haha.

In 2012, is hip hop really still a discretely black culture? surely the amount of people worldwide that identify with it on a personal level (not just 'I like this') make it a worldwide culture?

and anyway, what does that have to do with Australian indigenous people? Are Indigenous people more inclined to a hip hop culture because their skin has melanin? if that's what he's implying, it's an extremely asinine thing to say. Why generalise people anyway and lump African Americans in with Indigenous people? It just seems like a silly, ill-thought out comment.

[Edited on 12-4-2012 by Jim]
rival
Basic Equipment Crew

Mood: ....

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 05:28 PM

Hip Hop started as a black culture and it is still.

The rhythms used, the style all pretty much hails from Jamaica (Where Herc etc are from) and mixed with Funk. It was basically dance hall but using funk records (Jame Brown etc) instead of Reggae. It started in a mainly black but multicultural area and was taken up by all races.

It's now a universal culture that really has no race ...but it's roots can never be denied and unless we intend to change the actual elements and remove stuff like Rapping and DJ'ing then it always WILL be a black culture.

What it has to do with indigenous people is that its a culture that sits in-between the middle classes of Australia and everyone else and that's because it ISN'T based on race, it's based on skills. It forms a bridge between us all, between all races. It lets us look at someone else from a completely different background as a comrade, as a friend, because we have common ground that would not exist otherwise. It opens up communication between us and allows people to be judged not on colour or class, but on skill and intelligence.

We have something special that can be used to bridge cultural differences and it pleases the fuck out of me to see our indigenous Hip Hop heads really starting to make waves ...and not cos of colour or the fact we feel sorry for them ..its because they are fucking GOOD at it.

[Edited on 12-4-2012 by rival]
arkovzay
eshay

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 07:43 PM

I think a lot of people in this thread missed the point of the article.

As I understand it, the basic premise is that hip-hop is a popular genre amongst the indigenous youth, yet you don't hear indigenous artists on Triple J, playing sold out shows etc. The only time you see a "successful" Indigenous artist is when they're making traditional indigenous music, ie. Geoffrey Oryema Yunupingu.

Basically the industry doesn't recognise Indigenous artists unless they're doing something "Aboriginal" on some 'nobel savages' white man shit.

That's how I read it anyway.

tapedeath
darah
Oz Hip Hop Member

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arkovzay

As I understand it, the basic premise is that hip-hop is a popular genre amongst the indigenous youth, yet you don't hear indigenous artists on Triple J, playing sold out shows etc. The only time you see a "successful" Indigenous artist is when they're making traditional indigenous music, ie. Geoffrey Oryema Yunupingu.

Basically the industry doesn't recognise Indigenous artists unless they're doing something "Aboriginal" on some 'nobel savages' white man shit.

Agreed.

I also think that he was saying that the Australian hip-hop scene predominatley only reflects one side of Australian life and that the complete Australian story cannot be told without including the voice of contemporary Aboriginal artists.
ChanceWaters
Artist formerly known as Phatchance

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rival
Hip Hop started as a black culture and it is still.

The rhythms used, the style all pretty much hails from Jamaica (Where Herc etc are from) and mixed with Funk. It was basically dance hall but using funk records (Jame Brown etc) instead of Reggae. It started in a mainly black but multicultural area and was taken up by all races.

It's now a universal culture that really has no race ...but it's roots can never be denied and unless we intend to change the actual elements and remove stuff like Rapping and DJ'ing then it always WILL be a black culture.

What it has to do with indigenous people is that its a culture that sits in-between the middle classes of Australia and everyone else and that's because it ISN'T based on race, it's based on skills. It forms a bridge between us all, between all races. It lets us look at someone else from a completely different background as a comrade, as a friend, because we have common ground that would not exist otherwise. It opens up communication between us and allows people to be judged not on colour or class, but on skill and intelligence.

We have something special that can be used to bridge cultural differences and it pleases the fuck out of me to see our indigenous Hip Hop heads really starting to make waves ...and not cos of colour or the fact we feel sorry for them ..its because they are fucking GOOD at it.

[Edited on 12-4-2012 by rival]

This summarises the whole thing really well. It kind of ties together with something I was reading today about the nature of hip-hop music, sort of being the Shakespearean every-man/publicly accessible entertainment of today. Just a generally awesome medium to tell stories and communicate broadly regardless of social class.

I don't think Urthboy is necessarily saying the indigenous population have no voice in Australian hip-hop, because obviously there's a lot of popular artists who are indigenous, but more that there will be and should be a lot more of it in the future, it makes sense especially given the parallels between African American history and it's roots in hip-hop and indigenous Australian history.

www.chancewaters.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Thunda
Oz Hip Hop Member

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:04 PM

thats like saying petrol sniffing is a black culture!!!!! what a load of fucking bullshit!!! racist cunts
MADFX
Banned

Mood: Zzzzz.....

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:39 PM

Quote:

+2 :popcorn:
Zaero
Oz Hip Hop Member

Mood: Hip Hop always.

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:58 PM

Quote:

well played.

on point again.

Alias.

Hey! Hey, Fellatio! Got a match? Well, I do! Your face and my ass! Your breath made of buffalo farts!

Do I know you?

You don\'t know jack-shit! Butt-wipe! Needle-dick! Cock-bite! Jack-off! Limp-wrist! Corn-hole! Banana-breath! Shit-bird! Bird-turd! Turd-face! Kiss-ass! Brown-nose! Macho wimp! Limp dick! Fart-face! Tire merchant! What\'s the matter? Gonna cry? Come on, Crybaby Davie! Cry! Cry! Cry! Shit-face! Rat-turd! Ass-licking son of a bitch!
Gex
custom status eligible

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 07:29 AM

Briggs plays stadiums. I dunno I think there's alot of problems with this sort of argument. If thiers a load of stadium ready Aboriginal artists why wouldn't he sign them? He's in the best position. Also its not just Aboriginal artists, still haven't had any "street" acts blow up. Kerser prob the closest but he doesn't get any radio love or 10,000 seat arenas does he?

Everyone thats blown up have a kind of "safe" vibe you could have em to your folks for dinner. Apart from the aussie dude from bliss and eso. He looks like hes been whacking ice.

rival
Basic Equipment Crew

Mood: ....

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gex
Briggs plays stadiums. I dunno I think there's alot of problems with this sort of argument. If thiers a load of stadium ready Aboriginal artists why wouldn't he sign them? He's in the best position. Also its not just Aboriginal artists, still haven't had any "street" acts blow up. Kerser prob the closest but he doesn't get any radio love or 10,000 seat arenas does he?

Everyone thats blown up have a kind of "safe" vibe you could have em to your folks for dinner. Apart from the aussie dude from bliss and eso. He looks like hes been whacking ice.

ET did sign The Last Kinection

they also signed Sky'High who is about the most street of street shit you can get in Sydney (as you would know if you knew her and her history), and she is set to blow up ...not safe at all IMO
Mackula
custom status eligible

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 09:44 AM

Quote:

this equation can be cleverly formulated by doing some simple mathematics:
Total population of Australia?
Total Koorie/Torres Strait Island population?
Total bedroom MC's in Australia?
Total Koorie/Torres Strait Island MC's in Australia.
Total JJJ formulaic wannabe aspiring suburban fake-ghetto superstars in Australia?
Total black militant PE/BDP/PRT Koorie/Torres Strait Islanders in Australia?

If those ratios throw up something weird, give me a call, and we'll come up with a solution. :bufont:

D O T H E M A T H
Gex
custom status eligible

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rival
Quote:
Originally posted by Gex

ET did sign The Last Kinection

they also signed Sky'High who is about the most street of street shit you can get in Sydney (as you would know if you knew her and her history), and she is set to blow up ...not safe at all IMO

Dont get ya knickers in a knot. im not having a go at ya boy. I agree it would be good to have different perspectives I just dont think lines should be drawn up on race IMO. Havent realy heard much of Last Kinection, that chick from one of them manufactured girl groups now rapping yeah? As for skyhigh thats good and I hope she does well. I can live with been out of the loop with how street she is though man. Im from Melbourne how the fuck would I even meet her. lol. congrats for knowing though. And the two joints i heard are just party joints. Im not in the buisness of trying to know every cunt running round personally. But yeah whatevs man. Let Aboriginals, other people with street historys people without street historys just let them all play 10000 seat arenas together.

dazed
asian

Mood: Turn the beat up!

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gex
Let Aboriginals, other people with street historys people without street historys just let them all play 10000 seat arenas together.

"Heal The World" (Geko remix)? Dope.

Overstand
http://www.theoverstand.com

Gex
custom status eligible

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dazed
Quote:
Originally posted by Gex
Let Aboriginals, other people with street historys people without street historys just let them all play 10000 seat arenas together.

"Heal The World" (Geko remix)? Dope.

You took it out of context it needs all that whinging first to work.

dazed
asian

Mood: Turn the beat up!

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 11:10 AM

And on a side note, (and I'm generalising here) but the majority of indigenous artists I've heard are on some on some gangsta, bandanna wearing thug american tip. The article touches on it but if more musical education is given to these kids just wait a few years and you'll have your voice.

Overstand
http://www.theoverstand.com

Mackula
custom status eligible

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 11:50 AM

bassist!

D O T H E M A T H
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10

Go To Top